Thursday, October 30, 2008

Obama's sacrifice

I am tired of hearing the line about how the time is over where we can drive what we want and eat all that we want in America. These remarks have been considered economic references by the Obama camp. What if he means to control American diets and strike a war on obesity. Perhaps there will be a quota on the number of miles you can drive forcing you to walk to work. How should we know, we don't know anything about Obama, except that he has a contempt for the lifestyle of many "bitter" Americans.

This week I didn't eat anything special, the majority of my meals came from making a large pot of chili on Monday then reheating it for several lunches and a dinner. If I had my choice of what to eat, I would have gone to a steakhouse, Outback or Texas Roadhouse if there was one, but as long as I am traveling I would go to a Ruth's Chris or a Morton's. Then my 12 year old truck broke down so I wasn't driving all over the countryside, burning gas for the heck of it. In fact, I drive about 3-4 miles per day on most days, except when my job requires me to run additional errands.

So what does he think I am going to sacrifice? Perhaps the people that eat at Ruth's Chris on a regular basis will be the ones sacrificing. Of course, if they stop eating there and the restaurant closes, I won't be able to eat there on the few occassions where I venture out for a top of the line steak.

Then I look at the men making these sacrifice accusations and ask "what are they sacrificing". How much money is being spent on the election? By the time it is all said and done, I would say at least a Billion, maybe more. Obama doesn't drive a hybrid to campaign stops, he is in a huge bus, with several SUVs and a press bus following. Thousands and thousands of miles driving vehicles that get under 5 mpg. Surely inside they are eating from McDonalds dollar menu. No, they are eating gourmet food, steak, lobster and whatever else Michelle deigns worthy of her diet. So we are supposed to sacrifice, but the "leaders" are supposed to live like kings of old? That's not the America that I want to see. That's not a change that I hope for. I don't want people being brought down to eating leftovers and living paycheck to paycheck, so that others can share in the fruits of my labor. I want to be able to see the fruits of my labor. To know that I worked hard and have the benefit of choosing what I eat, where I live, what I drive, and what I do to earn those rewards. I want my kids to have the opportunity to choose their lives. I am willing to be accountable for my actions and learn from the choices that I make. I hope enough Americans are willing to make that same statement on Nov. 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment