Friday, April 9, 2010

An Apology From Tiger Woods



I don't care about Tiger Woods. I don't care about his infidelities. I like golf, kind of. I think he's a great golfer and a hard working athlete, but question how well he'd do with the much stronger field faced by Jack Nicklaus, Arnold palmer, and Nick Trevino. Just like Michael Jordan dominated an NBA diluted by expansion and not yet flooded by great foreign talent, Woods' role in golf history will always be debated.

I don't care about his infidelities, I just don't. His wife is having a hard emotional time, but not as bad as some women trying to raise children suddenly on a single income. His wife will pull through one way or another. Until Obama takes her money, she'll live pretty comfortably. I really don't feel sorry for the women he hooked up with. I actually heard people in the media saying he owed them an apology. Why? They don't deserve anything from him. He already gave them the notoriety they craved. A reason to make money off of interviews and books.

Tiger Woods does not owe me anything.

Contrast that with a politician. If a politician poses with his wife and children while campaigning, he creates an image I buy into. I feel that he and I share something in common and that he understands my issues. I might vote for him based upon that common ground, at least in part. If he then throws that away by sleeping with seventeen women and I voted for him, I might want an apology. A person's personal life is their own and they can do as they please. But don't sell me on the idea that you are a family man if you are not. Don't send out pictures with your wife and kids, don't pose with them on photo ops. If you do that and I vote for you, you have defrauded me in a sense. I can't take my vote back. A real apology will be the only thing I can get from you. I am speaking in general, although the Governor of South Carolina is the politician most on my mind as I write. I'm not thinking of anyone in this state or region.

But Tiger Woods? I never asked for anything from him. He never asked anything from me. Woods offers stuff for sale, he doesn't offer a vision of anything except swinging a stick at a ball.

I don't expect, need, or want an apology from him. The only people he owes anything to is his wife and children. And he owes them a lot. He does not owe the media, golf fans, or anyone else anything at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment