Friday, January 25, 2008

Checking the facts avoiding the drama

One thing that holds true in both life and politics, is that people go off half-cocked. That creates mistakes and adds much unneeded drama to life. 99% of the drama can be avoided by simply checking the facts first before going off. When I go off, I like to be fully-cocked.

Recently I wrote a blog about water resources in Mineral County based on a Comprehensive Plan meeting held in Fort Ashby. At that meeting I knew that most of the information being portrayed was flat wrong, but I didn't have the figures with me. I could have went off half-cocked, but I wanted to make sure that I was correct before I did.

After the meeting I went home and did my research on the subject. I checked all the water sources for the county. I checked the storage capacity of Jennings Randolph Lake. I did this all with official sources to make sure that my numbers were dead on correct. Then I presented my information to make my point. I went off fully-cocked.

As I watch the presidential election unfolding, I see a lot of candidates and their minions going of half-cocked. The information they are presenting is not based on fact. Much is based on innuendo. To me if a candidate cannot take the time to get the information right in their accusations, then they are not going to be high on my selection list. If their information is correct, the they are not accusations they are points of fact.

I would like to see excitement in presidential election, but I can do without the drama. Give me facts. Base arguments and disagreements on facts, and avoid the drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment