Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A 21st Century Christmas

I was thinking to myself, I'm having a traditional Christmas with my family and friends, but then it dawned on my that I wasn't. In fact does a traditional Christmas exist or does it change with time?

I did send out my Christmas cards, I put up my tree, my lights, wrapped presents, etc, but there was a 21st Century element to my Christmas. I hadn't really thought about, I just did 21st Century Christmas things as well. It just seemed natural.

Probably the first is receiving and sending Christmas e@mails. Some were from my online friends, some were friends I see on a regular basis. Then I began receiving Christmas wishes on Myspace, and felt the need to respond in kind. When I got up Christmas morning I sent a text message to everybody in my cell phone wishing them a Merry Christmas.

I never really thought about these things being new, but they are. While some may have started at the end of the 20th Century, they truly are a part of the 21st. Scrooge would now run a cell phone store, the Red Rider Bebe Gun has given way to Call to Duty 4, & the catalyst in A Wonderful Life would not be about a loan scandal..... OK somethings never change, but it is clear to see the traditions of a traditional Christmas will change with the time and technology.

However there is one thing we should never change in a traditional Christmas; the reason for the season. The celebration if for the birth of Christ, and we should always remember that tradition. I hope you and yours had a wonderful Christmas and have a great New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment