Thursday, August 5, 2010

An Open Letter to Doug and Sue McKinney

Dear Doug and Sue,

As a West Virginia Republican I want to thank you for your leadership in difficult times. Around the nation, our party saw declining influence, electoral defeats, and falling contributions. Despite those obstacles you cleaned up party finances, put us in a new headquarters, and brought in professional help to build an organization. It may be easy for some to forget those dark days, but I remember the discouragement of 2006 and 2008. We lost Congress and the presidency because many of the Republicans elected around the country tended to do what was expedient and not what was right. Hopefully we have found our way again as a national party. Our recent victories seem to indicate that. We may be seeing sunny days right now, but the storm clouds just passed for us. Your leadership kept us viable, active, and moving forward during those trying times.

On a personal note, I want to thank you for all your help, advice, and support. I cannot remember one major event that we planned where we invited you to come and you declined. Any questions I had got your response quickly. I appreciate that because I am not on the state committee, I am just a regular voting Republican who likes to help out when he can. You were accessible to people and that is important.

To close, I want to express my respect and my appreciation for all the hard work you put in during very difficult times. You kept us going despite all odds.

Thank you,

Stephen Smoot

No comments:

Post a Comment