Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Former senator kicks off race for governor at State Capitol Thursday

Former State Sen. Russ Weeks today announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination for governor, pledging to restore integrity to state government and return its focus to the people rather than the powerful.

“I fully understand the daunting task before me, and the tremendous amount of time and effort required to run,” said Weeks in his remarks at the State Capitol. “But I am launching this campaign because I feel very strongly that for the future of our state, the voters must hear the truth about state government.”

Weeks, who recently authored a book, “No Strings Attached,” about his four years in the State Senate, added, “Throughout my life and career, nothing has been more important to me than my integrity. And nothing is more important than restoring the confidence of our

citizens in the integrity of our government.”

Weeks is a retired Navy veteran who defeated Senate Judiciary Chairman Bill Wooton in the biggest upset of the 2002 election.

He resides in Beckley, with his wife, Helen. They are the parents of two grown children, and have three granddaughters.

No comments:

Post a Comment