Monday, December 17, 2007

I couldn't have said it better myself . . .

Like I've said before, Republican primaries give me heartburn. The present contest is no exception.

An e-mailer to The Corner at National Review Online had this to say about Mike Huckabee. I don't typically copy-and-paste, but I this statement encapsulates my personal view on the situation perfectly. This e-mail is part of a larger conversation about evangelical sensitivity to criticism of Pastor Huckabee.

"I think what a lot of evangelicals may be missing here is that many non-evangelical conservatives are completely baffled, and frustrated, by the amount of support for the non-conservative Bush-channeling Huckabee. When we sit back and look at the amount of frustration and consternation that Bush has caused among conservatives, and then see Huckabee (who represents everything bad about Bush, with few of his positive characteristics) gaining the support of a fourth of our party, we have to ask ourselves why. The most obvious answer seems to be that he is attracting so much support because he is the only evangelical candidate in the race. To many conservatives, well at least to me, this idea that we should betray conservative principles in order to support a candidate with the right religious credentials is more than shocking, it is abhorrent, and the result is an anti-evangelical backlash. I consider myself a social conservative, and share so much common ground with evangelicals that it truly hurts me to see the strain being placed on our relationship. But as long as their power is used to push a statist non-conservative candidate on our party, we will not be seeing eye-to-eye."

Mike Huckabee is the wrong man to lead this country. I hope our party sees that clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment