Friday, March 30, 2007

Bats in the Belfry

When I put gasoline in my tank, when I get my electric bill, and when the propane tank gets filled I'm reminded of how much I spend on energy. We need energy independence from foreign sources of energy and one of those ways is Wind Energy. I do not understand the opposition to a clean renewable source of energy. Windmills create no pollution once constructed, they provide jobs, and the increase the tax base. It is a win win for everybody involved, but for some reason some don't see it that way.

The first argument usually heard is; they doesn't increase the taxes enough. Well we are all paying too much tax now, that is one of the reason of slow economic growth in the area. Besides a Windmill pays way more tax than the vacant rock that was there before, so it is a net gain for the community.

But the argument I like the best is the Bats. The bat argument came about because the bird argument was proved wrong and misleading. The theory goes something like this. The aircraft warning lights on the windmills attract moths, and the moths in turn attract bats that eat them. While the bats are eating the moths, they get hit with blades of the windmill and are killed. There is a glaring hole in this theory.

Best evening to sit outside on the porch in the summer is when there is a light breeze blowing. The reason being is the wind blows the bugs way. Funny thing is the wind is what turns the windmill blades, so when the wind is blowing there are no bugs to attract the bats. When the wind is not blowing, and the bats can eat the bugs, the blades aren't turning to kill the bats. The bat kill theory just doesn't hold up to simple logic.

Usually I can see two sides to an issue. I can usually understand the other sides reasoning for their point of view, but I may disagree with it. I can not see their logic in their opposition to windmills. Electricity is not something that comes out of the wall. It must be generated somehow whether it be wind, oil, coal, hydro-electric, or solar something has to create it. If we have the ability to generate power from a non-polluting local source such as wind, then we should do it. They worry about bats around windmills, they should worry about the bats in their belfry.

No comments:

Post a Comment